SIV training increases your safety and confidence when paragliding. Learn fundamental safety skills, how to deal with unexpected events and how to react in emergency situations. The course includes both theory and practical sessions.
Our SIV clinic is designed to improve your overall paragliding expertise and to boost your confidence. You will learn fundamental safety skills and become more familiar with your wing’s behaviour in diverse situations. Your safety and enjoyment while training are our main priorities.
SkySurf Paragliding SIV Courses are held at Lake Burrendong NSW, the best location for SIV training in Australia. The huge body of water offers a safe “box of maneuvers” and unobstructed launch/landing areas facing all wind directions. Accommodation is available by the lake at “Reflections Caravan Park Lake Burrendong“ (camping and cabins available)
Our SIV Courses are held in association with Phil Mansell from FlyDubbo. Phil is a towing specialist and one of the most experienced winch operators in Australia. Having a specialized towing team guarantees safe towing and consistent altitude. It also allows CFI Rafael Esquillaro to dedicate 100% attention to the pilots on launch, under tow and while performing maneuvers. Your SIV instructor focus on providing pre-flight checks, pre-flight briefing, radio instructions and after flight debrief. We always have 2 boats in the water (Towing + Safety) and 2 people in the Towing Boat (Boat Driver + Winch Operator/Spotter).
The course runs over 3 days (weather conditions dependent) and includes both theory and practical sessions. We pay particular attention to the psychological aspects of SIV training and mental visualization. The theory lessons are held on the night before each training day. We make sure you have complete mental understanding of each movement before the actual practice. A comprehensive debrief using video analyses is performed at the end of each day.
accommodation at Lake Burrendong
Our SIV Clinic can be customized for all pilot levels and specific goals. Every pilot presents different learning curves and the course is not intended to tick boxes superficially. Pilots will only progress to the next maneuver once they are proficient and confident performing the previous one.
The standard program includes:
- Big Big Ears with speedbar
- Asymmetric Collapses (at trim speed, 50% Speed Bar and 100% Speed Bar)
- Full Frontal Collapses (at trim speed, 50% Speed Bar and 100% Speed Bar)
- Pitch Oscillations and Pitch Control
- Dynamic Collapse (Asymmetric/Symmetric)
- Spiral Dive (Entry and Controlled Exits)
- Full Stall
- Tail Slide
- Reserve Deployment
For Pilots with previous SIV experience and proficient at performing Spiral Dives, Full Stalls (Tail Slide) and Spins we also offer Introduction to Acrobatic Flying including but not limited to Wing-Overs, SAT, Asymmetric SAT, Parachutal Stalls, Misty Flip and Helicopter.
- 2 Boats in the water (Towing + Safety)
- PFD Flotation Device provided
- Waterproof Icom UHF Radio and Speaker Mic provided
- Towing Weak Link Material provided
- SIV Simulator
- Extensive Briefing and Debriefing including video analyses
- Comprehensive skill development coaching for Novice pilots including launch, landing and general flying techniques
- Expert Towing Team
- EXPERT SIV INSTRUCTOR (CFI Rafael Esquillaro has extensive Acro, CCC and SIV’s instruction experience).
- Current SAFA membership and Tow Endorsement
- Certified Paraglider, Harness and Reserve Parachute (repacked within 6 months)
- Non-shatter protective Eye Wear
- Tow Release Bridle
- Gloves recommended
- Hook Knife recommended
- GoPro Camera or similar recommended
- 4 Tows Averaging over 1000 meters each. Cost $1090 Inc GST (Extra tows can be purchased. Cost $150/extra Tow)